Monday 6 February 2012

Sibs:)



I love this article about siblings and autism. I think it gives a great summary of the major stresses that a sibling of an individual with autism goes through. The obviously has been more a research focus on the impact of autism on parents, however thankfully in recent years are research targeting siblings are starting to emerge and become more and more common. It was even the subject of my own dissertation a few years ago.

I think a focus on siblings is so important after all we stand to be the longest relationship in our sibling’s life so it is an incredibly important relationship. Often siblings can take on a parental role from a very young age due to this. Myself, - me and my brother have a excellent relationship, but it has not always been perfect. This was especially during my teens when i felt quite self conscious about having a sibling who was different. Now i love my brother quirky personality and i really do not give a crap about people staring when we are out... says a lot more about them then usJ

No comments:

Post a Comment